The Throat Chakra -
Expressing Your TRUE Self
As a review, the word "chakra" is a Sanskrit word, meaning "spinning wheel."
Remember that the 7 chakras are "energy centers" situated along the central line of the body, and considered part of our "spiritual anatomy." Each of these 7 chakras correspond to particular aspects of the physical body as well as the mental/emotional body. The chakra we are discussing on this page is the Throat Chakra.
The Throat Chakra energetically vibrates to the colour of sky blue, and correlates to our capacities of communication, connection, creativity (in fact the 5th Chakra - the Throat Chakra as it is otherwise known, has an inextricable tie to the 2nd "Sacral Chakra" of creativity). Personal intention, expression and individual truth are also governed by this energy center.
Physiologically speaking, the Throat Chakra rules over the obvious areas of the overall neck: the throat, thyroid, trachea, esophagus, hypothalumus, and also the non-apparent areas of the mouth, teeth and ears. It's notable that Western Medical doctors in this area are referred to as "Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists." The mouth, teeth, speech, vocal cords and ears -- listening senses -- are also governed by the Throat Chakra.
Emotionally speaking the signs of an imbalanced Throat Chakra include the following:
- Inability to speak for oneself - to speak the truth, express how you feel, communicate your needs, speak up in volume, say "NO" -- this is especially an area of concern for co-dependents. Women particularly (or yin-dominant males) are especially prone to this
- Difficulty in following through with your goals: for example, if you want to write a book, start a website or business, leave your spouse or something equivalent
- Strained communication patterns - particularly with your spouse or immediate family. Hesitance to speak as if still a child around your parental figures; being afraid to say what you really want to
- Singing: do you cry when you sing? Do you hold back from your real volume? Do you hold emotions in? Are you stillborn (physically speaking) when emotional moments move you? Do you stifle laughter, smiles, sorrow, crying, angst or any other emotion? Any holding back of emotion can be of detriment to oneself. In America, we tend to medicate the emotions we think are unacceptable or undesirable. Depression, anxiety, romanticism, heartbreak - these were all celebrated with grandiose expression in ages past - poems and Shakespearean plays were borne of these feelings, but not in modern, western society. We like to keep things "business as usual" and cover up the true movement of our hearts, thus stifling our creativity (again, the Sacral Chakra / 2nd chakra connection).
- Rudeness. Cussing. Negativity. The words coming out of your mouth are seeds that will birth your future. They are like second-hand smoke from the chimney of our hearts. They affect everyone and everything around us. Communication without disrespect or injury is the optimum goal here.
Physically speaking, the signs of an imbalanced Throat Chakra include many functions of the aforementioned parts of the body:
- Thyroid & Endocrine System Imbalance: many females especially voice concerns over the thyroid and its governance of their metabolism. Truly, any imbalance in the Throat Chakra is going to affect the ENTIRE endocrine system. One should not hesitate to be checked for hormone imbalances and always get second opinions whenever possible. Some doctors will say "you are within the 'normal' range" - but "normal" doesn't always equate to optimum. It is normal to eat 150 lbs. of refined sugar per year, but it's not good for you.
- Sore Throats: chronic tightness, strep throat, tonsillitis and hoarse voices can all be a physical outcropping of an imbalanced Throat Chakra. It is interesting to note recently that Shania Twain's show on Oprah's OWN Network followed Shania's pursuit of the reason behind her loss of voice. It had a LOT to do with unexpressed grief from the death of her parents and her husband cheating on her with her best friend. Unexpressed emotions literally CONSTRICT the area of your throat chakra and can cause many tangible, physical disorders.
- Teeth & Gums: note the integrity of your teeth and gums and see if you can uncover any Throat Chakra related experiences. It's interesting to note that according to nutrition pioneer Dr. Melvin E. Page, 80% of all chronic degenerative disease originates in the mouth. It is similar to how an eye-examination can detect diabetes. You would do well to check out holistic dentistry in your area while simultaneously doing the throat chakra balancing tips we include in this post. Remember also to work on the throat AND the Sacral Chakra at the same time for optimum benefit.
- Ears: aside from the obvious ear-aches and hearing difficulty, notice if you also have inner-ear issues. Inner Ear problems lead to vertigo, which is literal physical imbalance. You can't see which way is up. This is an acute manifestation of an imbalanced Throat Chakra.
If you recognize yourself in any of these emotional or physical descriptions, perhaps you have a mild-to-major imbalance in your Throat Chakra.
So you ask yourself "how can chakra balancing help me change my life"? Well, once you get the hang of the totality of all the chakras and you gain understanding of what they govern and how to recognize when one or more are disrupted, you can stop to assess it and come up with the appropriate remedy for yourself. While there are an absolute ton of self help books out there to give you their more in-depth discussions of the 7 chakras, here are some remedies we know of in brief:
- Hot Teas: enjoy some soothing, hot herbal teas on a regular basis. They can be sweetened with Stevia (a 100% natural low-calorie sweetener) or Honey (which is rich in sugar, but also 100% natural and soothing to sore throat areas). Lemon juice mixed with a little honey is also a natural soothing tonic you can enjoy.
- Singing and Vocal Exercises: these not only raise your vibrations and assist in your overall mood, but they are CRUCIAL to self-expression. I encourage you to belt out your favourite tunes, even if in the privacy of your own car, or the shower, or to an accompanying radio at full volume. Nowadays with BlueTooth headsets and cell phones, people don't look at each other funny if they're talking or singing to themselves in the car. Everyone does it. You should too!
- Head, Neck & Shoulder Massages: this has no need for explanation. Enjoy!
- Letter-Writing: write a letter to someone you're needing to clear the deck with. Let out all the anger, frustration, blame and/or guilt you've been holding inside. Don't hold anything in. Put it under your mattress and sleep on it a few nights. Read it out loud several times to desensitize yourself to it. Then when you're ready, tear it up and burn it. Let it go. Our "Change My Life: 21 Days of Total Transformation for Mind, Body & Spirit" workbook has a wonderful Green Fire Ritual that is fun to do for letting go of old issues.
- Martial Arts: if you've never done a martial art before (such as Kung Fu or Karate), I HIGHLY recommend it. The sense of discipline and self-assuredness you gain from consistent practice and attending the dojo is priceless. You will carry yourself with a new confidence. You will find yourself speaking with more assertiveness. Martial arts training is invaluable for Throat Chakra balance... especially when you yell "hi-yah!"
- Join Toastmasters: this is a wonderful organization that you can attend to become a better public speaker. Toastmasters is all over the place (search the internet) and it's filled with every-day people wanting to learn more about and help each other become better at speaking before groups. Most of the time it's free to attend unless you want to start participating in their speaker training. Even then, it's just a small fee. You will meet wonderful people, sharpen your communication skills and raise your confidence all in a safe, nurturing environment.
Read more about each of the 7 Chakras here:
Sacral Chakra (Second Chakra)
Solar Plexus Chakra
Third Eye Chakra
Return to "7 Chakras"
If you really want to dive further into this subject, please visit our Self Help Books page (where we have links to all our favourite self help books on the subject) or our pages about these wonderful teachers/healers below:
- Caroline Myss
(who expounds BRILLIANTLY on the 7 chakras, their link to the 7 sacraments, and the 7 levels of sephirot on the Kabbalah Tree of Life)
- Sonia Choquette
(as quoted above) is also a marvelous teacher on the Chakras and Chakra Balancing. Her best book for this is "True Balance"
- Deborah King
(one of my all-time favourites) writes with a particular edge toward chakra healing in her book "Truth Heals"
- Doreen Virtue
(another one of my all-time favourites) has MANY books and almost all touch on the subject of Chakras. She also has a chakra balancing cd & mp3 available at places like iTunes, Amazon.com, HayHouse.com and DoreenVirtue.com